What Are Nicotine Pouches?
You have probably heard the term nicotine pouch thrown around, but what are nicotine pouches? Read on to find out what nicotine pouches are, what is in nicotine pouches, what nicotine pouches look like and what nicotine pouches do!
What are Nicotine Pouches?
Nicotine pouches, also known as tobacco-free snus, are small white pouches containing nicotine without tobacco leaf, dust, or stem. The nicotine in these pouches is either derived from tobacco leaves or manufactured synthetically.
Nicotine pouches are a relatively new nicotine product that started in the U.S. when Americans demanded a new way of using nicotine that was free from tobacco.
In a very short period of time, the segment has grown and today there are growing numbers looking to buy nicotine pouches. No longer only in the United States, but in the whole world.
What do Nicotine Pouches Look Like?
Nicotine pouches are white portions that almost look like teabags or small white pillows. These pouches are usually are quite small, but the actual shape and size can vary from brand to brand or by portion size (some brands offer slim portions, whereas others have mini or regular).
What is in Nicotine Pouches?
Nicotine pouches are usually comprised of a similar list of ingredients:
- Nicotine Salt
- pH Adjusters
Do Different Nicotine Pouch Brands Have Different Ingredients?
How does this change between brands? We looked at the ingredients of the brands with the best selling nicotine pouches on Nicokick.
Swedish Match was the brand that started the nicotine pouch- wanting to create a product that was completely free of tobacco and would also provide a good nicotine delivery. The result was Swedish Match's first nicotine pouches - ZYN, completely white and tobacco-free nicotine pouches. All ZYN pouches ingredients include tobacco-derived nicotine salt and other food-grade ingredients, such as pH adjusters, sweeteners, flavorings, fillers and stabilizers. However, you can learn more about ZYN in our guide to “What is ZYN?”
The ingredients of VELO pouches contain nicotine derived from the tobacco plant, water, sucralose, citric acid, microcrystalline cellulose, salt and artificial flavor.
Rogue Pouches Ingredients
Rogue nicotine pouches ingredients include nicotine as well as ingredients for flavor and texture including a sweetener used in other soft drinks and food products.
The ingredients in On! nicotine pouches consist of nicotine salt, sweetener, fillers and pH adjusters. On! pouches come in either 2mg, 4mg and 8mg nicotine strengths and several variations from unflavoured to mint to berry.
How are Nicotine Pouches Made?
While most nicotine pouches are made in a relatively similar way, the type of nicotine used is made in different ways.
- Synthetic Nicotine. Synthetic nicotine is created in a lab, and is made by recreating the nicotine alkaloid you find in tobacco leaves. Molecular technology allows scientists to rearrange the molecules of other plants in order to create a nicotine that is identical to the one you find in tobacco leaves.
- Tobacco Derived Nicotine. Tobacco derived nicotine is nicotine that has been extracted from the tobacco leaf, but does not contain any of the tobacco leaf, dust etc. Usually, the nicotine is isolated from tobacco leaves by using a solvent extraction method, which extracts the nicotine from the tobacco.
What Do Nicotine Pouches Do?
Nicotine is traditionally used as a stimulant. When nicotine pouches are used, nicotine is absorbed into the bloodstream via the oral mucosa and is transferred to the brain’s reward system. Most people experience a general feeling of wellbeing, which has both a sedative and a stimulating effect.
Nicotine Pouches: Frequently Asked Questions
- Nicotine pouches, also known as tobacco-free snus, are small white pouches containing nicotine without tobacco leaf, dust, or stem that are used orally. Learn more on how to use nicotine pouches in our guide.
- Nicotine pouches often look like white teabags or mini pillows.
- ZYNs contain less than 1 calorie per pouch.