Surprising Foods That Contain Nicotine
Nicotine is enjoyed by people throughout the world and has been for centuries. How much do you know about nicotine? Did you know it can be found in plants aside from tobacco, and is present in everyday foods? Read on to learn more about nicotine, the foods that contain it and how it can affect you.
What is Nicotine?
Nicotine is a psychoactive substance found primarily in the tobacco plant, Nicotiana tabacum. It is used by many people because of its paradoxical effect — it can be both stimulating and calming. Tobacco-free pouches are one of the newest ways to enjoy nicotine.
Common Nicotine-Containing Foods
While most people know that tobacco contains nicotine, you may be surprised to learn that some foods do as well. Many of these consumables are part of the Solanaceae group, also known as nightshades. In these plants, nicotine is measured in micrograms (µg); one million µg equals one gram.
• Eggplants. For every one gram of these purple vegetables, there are 100 µg of nicotine. In other words, eggplants contain 100 µg/gram of nicotine.
• Tomatoes. A typical tomato contains about 7.1 µg/gram of nicotine. As tomatoes ripen, the nicotine content drops.
• Potatoes. A potato contains about 15 µg/gram of nicotine. However, green and ripening potatoes have a higher concentration of about 42 µg/gram. Pureeing potatoes also increases the nicotine to about 52 µg/gram.
• Peppers. These tasty plants contain about 7.7 to 9.2 µg/gram of nicotine.
• Cauliflower. While not a nightshade, cauliflower has a nicotine concentration of 16.8 µg/gram.
• Green and black teas. Some brewed and instant teas contain nicotine, ranging from 100 to 285 µg/gram.
How does Eating Foods with Nicotine Affect You?
Although various foods contain nicotine, they only have trace amounts. Even if you consume these plants regularly, the drug is unlikely to have an impact on your system. In fact, you’d have to eat about 10 kilograms of eggplant to ingest the nicotine that’s contained in one cigarette.
Since the tiny concentrations of nicotine are traveling through your intestines, your body can easily digest it. However, products such as nicotine pouches have larger amounts of nicotine that is absorbed into your blood stream.
Tobacco-Free Nicotine Pouches
Looking for a way to enjoy nicotine easily and conveniently? Tobacco-free nicotine pouches are smoke-free, spit-free and odor-free, and come in different flavors and strengths. Nicokick offers a range of nicotine pouches to fit your needs; check out our brands here.
Still want more? We also provide options such as nicotine mints, gum and even toothpicks. You can find our other tobacco-free products here.