Upper Decky Lip Pillow: Defining Viral Terms
Nicotine pouches are growing in popularity among American nicotine pouch users. With a rise in popularity comes a rise in new slang terms used online: one of the most popular being “upper decky”. But what does it mean and where did it come from? We look at all you need to know about lip pillows.
Upper Decky Lip Pillow
Also known as: upper decker lip pillow, lip pillow.
So, what is a lip pillow? This term refers comes from a viral social media post from fall 2022, used to talk about nicotine pouches that are held under your top lip. This can be used when talking about parking any and all nicotine pouch products under the top lip.
There have since been many variations on this term, such as -
- “Upper decky lip pillows ferda”: often associated with hockey and frat culture, it is the same term, with the use of “ferda” (meaning “for the boys”) on the end.
- “Upper Decky Zynnies”: referring to using ZYNs under your top lip.
Where did the Term "Upper Decky Lip Pillow" Come From?
In the fall of 2022, a phrase that originated from TikToker @cheddy222's video went viral on TikTok. On August 23rd, he posted a video with a sing-song series of phrases, which included the now-famous "Upper Decky Zynnies” and “Upper Decky Lip Pillows, Ferda." These phrases include a reference to the ZYN brand nicotine pouches, which are placed against the gum behind the upper lip - known as "lip pillows". The term "Ferda" is thought to have come from an episode of YouTube show Letterkenny. The phrase quickly caught on with college frat and hockey TikTok communities, who showed off their knowledge of the different words and phrases. Soon, humorous videos were created mocking the way frat boys and hockey boys speak, making @cheddy222's audio and phrase spread quickly, becoming a viral sensation.
Also known as: zynies, zynnies, upper decky zynnies, zyns
This term is used to talk about ZYN nicotine pouches. As some of the most popular pouches in the US and some of the best nicotine pouches of 2023, it is no wonder there are already other names for these pouches. Curious about ZYN? See the products below!
Important Info to Remember When Using an Upper Decky Lip Pillow
When learning about nicotine pouches, it is important to not only to be able to understand and answer “what are nicotine pouches?”, it is important to know the correct way to use the pouches. Here are the main things to remember when using a lip pillow:
- For Adult Nicotine Consumers Only. Zynnies and all nicotine products are made for adult tobacco and nicotine consumers 21+ only, who already use nicotine or tobacco products.
- Use the Pouch Orally Only. Nicotine pouches should be used orally and there are two common areas for placement: between the upper lip (an upper decky) and gum or lower lip and gum. It is recommended to put any nicotine pouch between the upper lip and gum as this allows the nicotine to be best absorbed through the mouth lining and into the bloodstream without the need for smoke or combustion.
- Park it for up to 30 minutes. You should ideally leave the ZYN pouch in for a maximum of 30 minutes.
Do not swallow any Zynnies or other nicotine pouches. You can swallow your saliva while using Zynnies or other pouches, but you should avoid swallowing the pouch itself.
- Use in Moderation. You should always remain mindful of how many pouches you are using and ensure not to overdo it to avoud nicotine poisoning. Please make sure to listen to your body and take breaks from nicotine pouches to avoid overdoing it.
- Dispose of Pouches Responsibly. Do not spit or throw your pouches on the street - make sure to put them in the trash or in the catch lid on the can if your can has one.