About Taxes on Nicokick
Nicokick is required by law to charge applicable tobacco/nicotine tax and sales tax for online orders.
Where these taxes apply, the order total during your checkout will be updated and reflect/include taxes.
Shipping charges are in general also subject to sales tax in most states.
How are the Taxes on Nicotine Products Calculated?
State Excise Tax (SET), also referred to as “tobacco/nicotine tax”, is applied in accordance with applicable
state and local laws.
For tobacco products, all states apply SET, however for Tobacco-Free products most states do not apply any SET.
The way SET is calculated depends on the product category (Tobacco or Tobacco-Free) and the state, and are
calculated in one of the following ways:
- based on a % of the wholesale price (cost) to Nicokick
- based on Nicokick selling price to the customer
- based on weight (per selling unit)
How is the Sales Tax on an Order Calculated?
Nicokick calculates the sales tax in accordance with applicable state and local laws. Current rates can be found
here: State Sales Tax Rates - Sales Tax
Example: Customer shipping address is in California:
- SET rate California = 56,93%
- Sales tax rate California = 7.25%
- Wholesale Cost per can = $3.00
- Selling price to customer = $3.99;
- SET per can = $3.00 * 0,5693 = $1.71;
- Sales tax per can = ($3.99 + $1.71) * 0.0725 = $0.41
Selling price to customer + SET + Sales Tax = Final price to Customer (per can): $3.99 + $1.71 + $0.41 =